List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Test of programs (krename)
From:       "Jamethiel Knorth" <jamethknorth () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2004-05-08 17:04:10

>From: Mikolaj Machowski <mikmach@wp.pl>
>Date: Sat, 8 May 2004 13:24:44 +0200
>
>Dnia sobota, 8 maja 2004 09:55, Jamethiel Knorth napisał:
> > Although I spoke of an idea for the future, I was restless this
> > evening
> > and decided to do a mockup of KRename in a single window. Files are at:
> >
> > http://www2.gvsu.edu/~abreschm/krename-mockup.ui
> > http://www2.gvsu.edu/~abreschm/krename-mockup-basic.png
> > http://www2.gvsu.edu/~abreschm/krename-mockup-advanced-1.png
> > http://www2.gvsu.edu/~abreschm/krename-mockup-advanced-2.png
> >
> > Naturally, it's a little cluttered due to being in a single page as
> > opposed to four (although there would be a bit moved into dialogs). I'm
> > not entirely happy with it, but I never am.
>
>It is really cluttered. Current design is IMO easier to use, especially
>in Advanced mode. Basic mode is nice. Just few corrections:

Well, it was just something thrown together last night. It could definitely
progress a bit.

>a) Rename button [Add Files...] to [Add...]

The Add Files... button was also a combo-box with Add Directory... and
Rename Directory... so the distinction seemed relevant. And, as all those
options matter, it seemed to need to have them. Although, the others could
be left to the menu.

>b) Add sorting to list views - IMO this is a must also for current
>version of KRename, without revolutionary changes.

List-views can be sorted by clicking on the top of a column, usually.

>c) Grey out removing button when nothing is selected?

Yes, that would be sensible, but I just put that together in Qt Designer, so
I don't do anything complex like that.

>d) Add definition when extension begins

What?

>I changed my mind about Files tab in Advanced mode. It can be useful,
>eg. when renaming images with creating of slideshow/film in the mind. In
>such situation you need 'live' preview. Of course Files tab needs some
>tweaking (eg. dragging of files with mouse without special button plus
>minor changes mentioned earlier plus: why Preview is checkbox, not
>button?) but definitely it should stay.

Files tab seems to be necessary, but I still think it can be done away with.
The entire live-preview should be possible in the final view. There is no
particular reason those files can't be dragged around, just as those on the
first page are.