List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: proposal for the konqueror sidebar
From:       Stian =?iso-8859-1?Q?S=F8iland?= <stian () soiland ! no>
Date:       2004-05-07 13:40:59

On 2004-05-07 07:03:39, Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri wrote:

> I would go with:
>
> 	Open >
> 	------------------
> 	Cut
> 	Copy
> 	Rename
> 	Move to trash
> 	More actions >
> 	----------------------
> 	Properties
>
> where:
> 	Open:
> 		In new tab
> 		In new background tab
> 		In new window
> 		----------------------------------
> 		as preview in >
> 		as stand alone application >
>

> 		as preview:
> 			Acrobat Reader
> 			KPDF
> 			KGhostView
>
> 		as stand alone application:
> 			Acrobat Reader
> 			KPDF
> 			KGhostView

I like this "Open >"-submenu.  However, if only "preview" or
"Standalone" is a possible selection, the application list should be
expanded within the "Open" tab, avoiding an extra step when the menu
could be short anyway.

> 	More actions:
> 		Copy to...
> 		Move to...
> 		--------------------------
> 		Encrypt File
> 		Zip file
> 		Create data CD with K3b

I'm not too sure of this one, keeping the weird things in "More actions"
is nice, but probably not the copy/move things.

Copy/Move are likely to be used on several files. In addition, using
them requires navigating more submenus, so having them too deep makes
them totally useless.

> Edit file type should (i think it already is) in "Properties"

Of course.

> Maybe we could find better names for "as preview in" and "as stand alone
> application".

Yes, I didn't understand the "preview", especially since "preview" on a
text file just opens an embedded editor - where I can EDIT - even though
it's a "preview".

> Also, Ark add the same icon to various actions... that's wrong IMO. In my
> concept, icons should distinguish items... but if you use the same icon,
> icons lost their use. If apps add various items inside their submenu, the
> submenu could have the app icon and the submenu items have no icon at all (if
> they all were to be equal).

Agreed, icons need to be unique to have any value. they could be over
the same theme, though, to naturally group the menu items.

--
Stian Søiland               Work toward win-win situation. Win-lose
Trondheim, Norway           is where you win and the other lose.