List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: proposal for the konqueror sidebar
From:       Peter Postmus <p.postmus () st ! hanze ! nl>
Date:       2004-05-07 12:24:50

On Friday 07 May 2004 07:31, Jamethiel Knorth wrote:
> This is another reason why I still endorse menu/button combos. They allow
> lists to be reduced without removing options. Have an arrow at the side
> that is the menu button (or hovering for a bit opens it) and have the main
> bar be the main option. Probably have the arrow separated by a bar, or in
> some other way set off, ala MS-Explorer's back button. Then, you could
> have:
>
> Open          | >
> Preview       | >
> Actions         >
> -----------------
> Cut
> Copy
> Rename
> Move to Trash
> -----------------
> Properties
>
> That has every option that was in the list before, and doesn't require
> delving into a menu for the common actions. If you want to open it, you
> just click open. If you want to delve, you wait for the menu (a short timer
> already) or you click on the menu button. I know that it is slightly more
> complex, but it is worth the complexity for the savings in space.
>
> Also, I think that all custom actions should just flat out go under the
> Actions menu. I'm disgusted with programs adding entries to the top-level
> menu. At the moment, few do so, but it isn't getting any better, and it
> just makes those menus messy. The top-level menu should just be effectively
> off-limits.
>
> And you're completely correct about the mistake of repeated icons. It would
> be great to have custom icons for everything, if only it were possible.
> But, yeah, Ark should cut back on just littering the area with that icon of
> its.

So, this would be a button and a submenu entry at the same time? I don't know
about that, seems kind of unintuitive to me...

Instead of this, I would suggest displaying the default action at the top of
the context menu, possibly in a bold font. I think this is very good for not
only enabling the user to choose the default action in the menu, but also
communicating the current default settings to the user (so that he or she can
check that with only one mouse click).

My suggestion (almost the same as yours) would be:

<default action in bold font (for example: Open with Ark)>
Open with >	<list with all apps that can open this file>
Preview with >	<list with all kparts that can view this file>
Actions >		<list with all other actions that can be done on this file>
-----
Cut
Copy
----- (perhaps this separator is too much)
Rename
Move to trash
-----
Properties

For directories and archives, these items could be added to the "Actions"
list:

Open in new window
Open in new tab

--