List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: OS X style dock
From:       "Jamethiel Knorth" <jamethknorth () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2004-05-06 16:19:45

About this thread in general: I have realized what seems primarily at issue
here. This idea is being compared directly to the OS-X dock. Yes, the OS-X
dock is a good example of what is wanted, but it is not what is wanted.
Comparing directly to the OS-X dock makes it feel like this foreign system
is going to be bolted onto the side of KDE, like some sort of cancerous
growth.

Possibly, someone could give a description of the system from scratch, only
occasionally using OS-X as an example. Hopefully, this could result in
something unique to KDE which is designed for KDEs strengths and weaknesses.
There is no reason we need to only be as good as OS-X, we shouldn't so
restrain ourselves.

Someone else mentioned this in the thread where we were discussing XP's
list-view, and they were correct: KDE need not merely imitate, but should
instead innovate. In particular, this is true in a case like this where
imitation alone will not work and thus should not be tried.

If anyone is interested in really designing something, from scratch,
completely custom to KDE, I would be glad to help.