List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: kicker's show desktop button - what exactly should that do?
From:       Sébastien_Laoût <sebastien.laout () tuxfamily ! org>
Date:       2004-04-24 11:55:07

Le ven 23/04/2004 à 14:34, Luke Sandell a écrit :
> 1. You can simply undepress the button and forget all the saved positions of
> the windows minimized by the button.  The problem with this solution is that
> the user can no longer restore the windows that were previously minimized
> (60480).
>
> 2. You can undepress the button and restore all the windows you minimized when
> the button was depressed.  The problem with this solution is that it is
> pretty annoying to have all your windows pop back up just because you created
> or restored one window (67406).
>
> 3. The third would be to do nothing and simply leave the button in its current
> depressed state.  The problem with this solution, as noted above, is that it
> no longer reflects the current state of the desktop.  In addition, if the
> user wants to show the desktop again, undepress and then depress the button.
>
> Whatever you choose (I prefer #2) must be consistant.  Currently it is not.
> Maybe the final solution will be the user to configure it, but this might
> just make it more confusing.

Me too I prefer the #2 (actual KDE 3.2 behaviour).
It's much more consistent.

I have some icons on my desktop (yes : it isn't a gadget, as somebodys
can think : useful to keep data on hand or launch often used
applications without have to traversal the entire KMenu).
And sometimes, Ctrl+Alt+D and then a click on the icon ("KDE classes
doc" for example) to launch it.
It's pretty cool that KDE 3.2 make "Show desktop" untoggle and restore
all windows ! During KDE 3.1 I was obliged to quickly re-press
Ctrl+Alt+D BEFORE the wanted window is shown :-)
It's a change that programs are long to start on Linux !!! ;-)

The only problem is, when show desktop and then toggle it back is that
the last activated window ISN'T ACTIVATED anymore !
We must manually click it to get focus back as before showing the
desktop : the desktop state is not 'perfectly' restored.