List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: View modes in konqueror
From:       Peter Postmus <p.postmus () st ! hanze ! nl>
Date:       2004-04-19 17:37:36

On Monday 19 April 2004 18:39, Leo Savernik wrote:

> Am Montag 19 April 2004 16:59 schrieb Jamethiel Knorth:
> [...]
>
> > I also have Cervisia, which is horrible to have there. It is extremely
> > confusing to new users, just like FSViewerPart. I assume it is from an
> > addon (I just use a pre-packaged KDE) but I'm guessing that having that
> > addon installed makes that extra icon be shown.
>
> It is wonderfully to have there. Do you use Cervisia daily? If not, don't
> install it. Besides, no non-developer should ever install kde-sdk.
>
> KDE-Usability discussions should *never* take plugins into account because
> they vary from user to user.

I strongly disagree with this. If we can only discuss usability about a part
of KDE, what's the point? Usability depends, among other things, on
consistency. If we can't make some parts of KDE more consistent with others,
how are we supposed to improve overall consistency in the first place?

Besides, most users will probably install the default collection of KDE
packages, which differs between distros. So the inconsistencies will be
apparent to those users.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,
With kind regards,