List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Cleaning up KDE: Konqueror-Toolbars and the Kicker
From:       Dik Takken <D.H.J.Takken () phys ! uu ! nl>
Date:       2004-03-30 10:52:04

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004, Davide Ferrari wrote:

> Ok, but with this paradigm ("If I don't see it I can't know of it") we
> should put almoste verything in toolbar, and this is what we already done ;P
>
> The question is: how often are copy/cut/paste used by an average user?
> keeping this in mind, how is REALLY handy and convenient use the toolbar
> instead of "Edit" menu?

Well, there are three places where you can access the copy/cut/paste
functions:

* The toolbar
* The menu
* The RMB menu

Average users don't use the menu, because it's so crammed with features
that they can't find anything in there. Go blaim the style guide. The RMB
also must be considered 'inaccessible' by average users, because average
users seldomly press any other mousebutton but the left one.

Conclusion: *all* functions that should be accessible to any user must be
on the toolbar. :((

I'm not very happy with this conclusion either, I would love to clean the
toolbar up. But the 'awful truth' forbids us to do so. Unless.. Unless we
make the application menu usable...

Cheers,

Dik