List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Cleaning up KDE: Context-menus
From:       Maks Orlovich <mo002j () mail ! rochester ! edu>
Date:       2004-03-29 23:06:17

> That's 5 groups with 12 selections, 5 with submenus. Looking at the
> selections, the first ones that caught my eye was the
> "Bookmarks"-selection. Why do we need it in the context-menu for the
> desktop? How is web-browsing related to the desktop? If I want to surf the
> web, I'll fire up Konqueror or I select a bookmark from the Universal
> Sidebar.

The universal sidebar is not enabled by default; so I don't think it is
relevant for this discussion.

> Another one is the "Help"-selection. Why do we need it in the
> context-menu? We could just a well access it through the regural
> help-tool. Or it could be inserted to the Desktop Configuration-tool. And
> since it's already in the K-menu, having it in the desktop-menu as well
> seems redundant.

Removing ways to access help in name of usability seems a bit contradictary
at best.
> 14 selections (3 with submenus) and 5 groups. How to clean that up? I
> think "Copy To" and "Move To" could be removed.

Well, you are free to not install kdeaddons. But I would like to point out
that there have been multiple bug reports from people who forgot to install
the kdeaddons package asking to put back the "Copy To/Move To" entries, and
asking why in the world we would remove such a convenient feature.

> window" being in a submenu. Also, "Actions >" could be moved under the
> "Open in... >" selection in the first group, eliminating one group. Doing

Actions do not generally open things in applications; such a label would be
misleading, and hence confusing.