List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Cleaning up KDE: Context-menus
From:       Janne Ojaniemi <janne.ojaniemi () nbl ! fi>
Date:       2004-03-29 16:50:33

> > "Bookmarks"-selection. Why do we need it in the context-menu for the
> > desktop? How is web-browsing related to the desktop? If I want to surf
> > the
>
> You can have other stuff than web URLs in your bookmarks.

Yes you can. Folders etc. But do they really belong to the desktops
context-menu? IMO the context-menu should be about desktop-related actions
(for examples, pasting folders to the desktop etc.), and not about browsing
the filesystem with Konqueror (for example)

> You would be happy with Mandrake rpms - they remove it and than users
> report it as bugs to KDE because they're missing it. ;-(

Maybe they are reporting it because default KDE has it, so they expected
Mandrake to have it as well? But since help is easily accessible, I don't see
the point of having it in the context-menu. Same thing goes to "Run
command"-selection.

> > better than the current context-menu. Also, "Lock screen" and "lockout
> > user" could also be removed, since they are already available in the
> > K-menu
>
> You don't have to have a panel or the K-menu or the lock/logout applet on
> it.

You mean that since the user can remove the K-menu and the applet, therefore
the lockout/lock screen should be in the context-menu?

> > I think "Copy To" and "Move To" could be removed.
>
> They can be disabled in HEAD.

that's good :)

> > be merged in to a "Open in... >" selection with "new tab" and "new
> > window" being in a submenu. Also, "Actions >" could be moved under the
> > "Open in...
>
> No "..." for entries with a sub-menu. Please read the style guide.

I think I'll do that :).

> > Also (I'm going to get flamed for this....), do we REALLY need the "Open
> > terminal here"? KDE is a GUI, therefore it should really be a GUI, and it
>
> It was very often requested when it was missing. :-)

It seems to me that they users who use that feature are in the minority to
 the GUI-users. Maybe it should be a configurable option, with default being
 off? those who want it, could then enable it.

> And if I start it from the K-menu it opens in the directory I have in mind?

By default it should open in the users Home.

> Talking about usability: Opening Konsole. Placing it that you can drag
> between the two windows. Drag the folder. Drop it on Konsole. Choose "cd".
> Move Konsole window to fit your needs/on the screen again. Very easy.

Heh, I see your point. But resorting to terminal should be IMO avoided. If
there is some functionality that the user can only do in terminal, I think
that the solution for that is to try to figure out a way to let the user do
it in the GUI, instead of resorting to the terminal.