List:       kde-usability
Subject:    RE: Shortcut Keys in Tooltips
From:       "Jamethiel Knorth" <jamethknorth () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2004-03-20 17:31:44

Okay, the message I meant to have in this thread the first time:

KDE should standardize to putting short-cut keys into tooltips and doing it
in a standard way.

This is similar to the way the a menu-entry shows what its shortcut is,
except on the tooltips for toolbar items. Something like "Cut   [Ctrl-X]" as
a tooltip, intead of just "Cut".

This makes the desktop much easier to use, as you never need to dig for a
shortcut key.

The other question is how this should be displayed. For example, it could be

Cut [Ctrl-X]
Cut [ctrl+x]
Cut (Ctrl+X)
Cut     (Ctrl+x)
Cut: ctrl+x
Cut - Ctrl+X

That's all that I have right off the top of my head. I tend towards the
usage of brackets, wide spacing, capitalization, and a + sign. So:

Cut     [Ctrl+X]

I'm not at home right now, or I'd check how the menu's show it. At least the
capitalization and +/- signs should be the same as the menu system uses.