List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Directory Editor
From:       "Jamethiel Knorth" <jamethknorth () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2004-03-17 15:49:53

>From: Christoph Niemann <cnieman@suse.de>
>Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 16:26:00 +0100
>
>On Tuesday 16 March 2004 02:27, Jamethiel Knorth wrote:
> > As I noted in 'A fair critique to KDE usability' I think there needs to
>be
> > a directory-types editor for KDE, just as there is a file-associations
> > editor. I have been brainstorming for a bit, and have enough for
>suggesting
> > it.
> >
> > As far as the interface, I have only made as much progress as saying it
> > would be basically like the file-associations editor. I can do more, but
> > don't even think this will be implemented soon, so I haven't gotten on
>it.
> >
> > First, a Directory-Type would be defined according to a lot of criteria:
> > - Protocol
> > - File Types
> >   - Amounts of File Types
> > - Being at a Specific Path
> > - Containing Specific Files/Directories
> >
> > Also, those could be restricted by whether or not to count directories
>and
> > whether or not to count hidden files.
> >
> > Then, it would have settings according to that such as:
> > - Directory Icon
> > - Viewer
> >   - Viewer Options
> > - Sorting Method
> > - Previews
> >   - Preview Settings
> > - Special Actions to Perform on Opening (split view, add files to some
> > database, etcetera)
>
>If I am correct, the logic to do such distinctions is already there in
>Konquror. If you switch to icon view, Konqueror already uses different
>icons
>depending on the content of a folder. (I haven't looked at code, I am just
>guessing because of behaviour here.) So, maybe it isn't so difficult to add
>feature which sets the view mode accordingly.

I think it can do the folder-icon thing. It is the other ideas which I think
are missing and could be good. Particularly, customizing the display a bit
according to what the folder has. Some users may not want it, but it does
not need to be on by default. Also, the applying actions and adding custom
items would be good, and I do not think those exist yet. If these things do
exist in the way I am hoping for, could someone inform me of that? I have
looked but do not see them outside of .directory files, which don't actually
fulfill what I am suggesting.

[snip]

> > This adds custom icons to directories to help show what they are, and
>makes
> > those easily configurable. It allows the file viewer to change logically
> > according to what the user is viewing. Adding in good backgrounds for
> > directories on a case-by-case basis wouldn't be too far off. It allows
>for
> > some very custom directories, as with the home directory. It helps
>obviate
> > the need for the viewer-buttons on the toolbar.
> >
> > Also, I should not that the viewer settings should be overridden
>(possibly
> > add a special option to negate this for some views) if the view type has
> > been explicitly changed by the user, and the view should never change if
> > the type of directory has not changed.
>
>This is easily accomplished by the now famous .desktop files. Whenever one
>is
>present, there will be no autodection whatsoever.

As I noted to another, the problem with .directory files is that they apply
to single directories, and I am hoping for a solution which applies to all
directories according to their contents. As my suggestion included having
specific settings for specific directories, it would want to be able to
interoperate with .directory files a bit. I don't know how well that would
work, because .directory files can do much more for the folder they are in

[snip]