List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Again on KControl
From:       Davide Ferrari <il_vide () katamail ! com>
Date:       2004-03-03 14:42:29

I was wondering why we have 2 kind of system-related administration
tools: the ones like KUser which are in the KMenu, in a stand-alone
application, and the one like the Linux kernel config that are KCMs.

My opinion is that we should take a decision. And manage this kind of
things in one way.
IMO the best is grouping them CLEARLY all as KCM modules, but they
should anyway reside in the kdeadmin package. (I don't know where admin
KCMs reside now..)

Having these tools outside of KControl is frustrating and non-sense in
my opinion, cause KControl is the heart of a KDE-box configuration. And
if we want to leave space to distro-related tools, well, then we shall
not implement at all these admin-tools. (anyway I think that the Linux
kernel KCM is completely useless, I think noone uses it. if someone
wants to compile manually the kernel, well, he/she is for sure skill as
much as necessary to do a make menuconfig or make xconfig. The same for
LILO config KCM, IMO)