List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Tabbed browsing vs taskbar grouping; a proposal.
From:       "Jamethiel Knorth" <jamethknorth () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2004-03-01 18:05:07

>From: Maurizio Colucci <seguso.forever@tin.it>
>Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 11:26:52 +0100

>always

> > > This is a good suggestion. Unfortunately, 1) the approach is less
> > > dynamic. I am forced to choose the dirs beforehand, which should not
>be
> > > necessary.
> > >
> > > Furthermore, there are small annoyances with the KDE implementation:
>2)
> > > KDE truncates the names like this:
> > >
> > >   "/usr/local/bb...dfdfd/fdfd"
> > >
> > > which is unnerving to browse. This forces me to assign short names to
>the
> > > bookmarks.
> >
> > But what if files have the same name?
>
>I don't see your point, since I am suggesting to show full paths.

Full paths take up too much space. That can't be done.

> > When working on different versions
> > of the same file-tree? Suppose this is the case, KDE-velopers are often
> > working on the various versions of the same file-trees and truncating
> > the names in this way is the best solution for them.
> >
> > OK. Konq (and all tab-enabled apps) should show last part of path and
> > if file with the same name but in another location is bookmarked it
> > should appear like "filename (2)".
> >
> > > 3) the bookmarks appear intermixed with the internet ones,
> > > which makes me scan many more items than the simple list of
>directories.
> >
> > "Everything is URI". Personally I like this approach.
> >
> > > 4) there are the four special items: add bookmark, bookamrk tabs as
> > > folder, etc.
> >
> > And?
>
>You have to skip them with the mouse, because they appear on top of the
>menu.

The options need to exist. Where are you proposing to put them?

>is
>want
>sequentially,

> > > This is also a non-solution, because it is very unnerving to wait for
>the
> > > tooltip to appear.
> >
> > And this is another cause for drastic shortening of time to show
> > tooltip (another one: in Relevantive usability study, users didn't use
> > tooltips because delay was too long).
>
>Wait: what if we show full paths in tabs, with line wrap (without breaking
>words)?
>
>    /mnt/hard-disk2/moved-from-
>    root-due-to-lack-of-space/
>    downloads
>

>This would IMO solve every problem, making tabs actually usable. A bit
>taller,
>but so what?

That is one of the single most hideous ideas I have ever heard. It wastes my
precious desktop real estate, makes the tab bar look like an abomination
before god and man, likely requires the tab code to be altered, as there are
currently never multi-line tabs. makes the buttons on the ends get dwarfed,
and leaves the tab-bar size jumping around as directories change, resulting
in constant resizing of the content window.

>new

> > > If you mean assign an icon to directories, well, I don't want to do
>this
> > > by hand.
> >
> > Ha. I should use mouse, not Vim ;) RMB click on dir, Properties, click
> > icon, choose icon and everything works (don't know why not when doing it
> > in terminal).
> >
> > > OTOH, if the system were to assign icons automatically, and
> > > consistently...
> >
> > Automat shouldn't have been here. Practically impossible to make it
> > properly.
>

>No, it isn't. We should have a dictionary word-->possible-icons, and do a
>subword search in the full path for some keyword.
>
>BTW, Konqueror still doesn't show icons on tabs. Mozilla does.

Yes, it does.