List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Tabbed browsing vs taskbar grouping; a proposal.
From:       Mikolaj Machowski <mikmach () wp ! pl>
Date:       2004-02-29 22:58:06

Dnia Sunday 29 of February 2004 22:31, Maurizio Colucci napisał:
> > > It is common for me to have many konqueror instances open at once,
> > > each one in a different directory. I find this is useful because I
> > > have some dirs I use very often: it is quicker to leave them always
> > > open than to find them each time. The same goes for konsoles
> > > instances.
> >
> > Why don't use bookmarks?
>
> This is a good suggestion. Unfortunately, 1) the approach is less
> dynamic. I am forced to choose the dirs beforehand, which should not be
> necessary.
>
> Furthermore, there are small annoyances with the KDE implementation: 2)
> KDE truncates the names like this:
>
>   "/usr/local/bb...dfdfd/fdfd"
>
> which is unnerving to browse. This forces me to assign short names to the
> bookmarks.

But what if files have the same name? When working on different versions
of the same file-tree? Suppose this is the case, KDE-velopers are often
working on the various versions of the same file-trees and truncating
the names in this way is the best solution for them.

OK. Konq (and all tab-enabled apps) should show last part of path and
if file with the same name but in another location is bookmarked it
should appear like "filename (2)".

> 3) the bookmarks appear intermixed with the internet ones,
> which makes me scan many more items than the simple list of directories.

"Everything is URI". Personally I like this approach.

> 4) there are the four special items: add bookmark, bookamrk tabs as
> folder, etc.

And?

> > > 1) BAD ASPECT OF OPENING DIRECTORIES IN TABS
> > > =========================================
> > >
> > > The problem of opening directories in tabs instead of new windows is
> > > obvious: the full pathname doesn't fit in the tab. So, when you want
> > > to find a particular dir, you end up pressing all tabs sequentially,
> > > until you find it.
> >
> > Partial solution: tooltips for tabs.
>
> This is also a non-solution, because it is very unnerving to wait for the
> tooltip to appear.

And this is another cause for drastic shortening of time to show
tooltip (another one: in Relevantive usability study, users didn't use
tooltips because delay was too long).

> > > No sane person would do that. :-) So, as far as I
> > > understand, nobody would ever choose to open a new directory in a new
> > > tab (unless his panel does not offer taskbar grouping).
> > >
> > > Notice this problem is not so dramatic when browsing the web: the
> > > page titles are rarely very long, and they often have a different
> > > icon. The problem is only serious when browsing the disk.
> >
> > Also you can use .directory file with Icon entry...
> > [Desktop Entry]
> > Icon=/usr/local/kde/share/icons/crystalsvg/16x16/actions/exec.png
>
> If you mean assign an icon to directories, well, I don't want to do this
> by hand.

Ha. I should use mouse, not Vim ;) RMB click on dir, Properties, click
icon, choose icon and everything works (don't know why not when doing it
in terminal).

> OTOH, if the system were to assign icons automatically, and
> consistently...

Automat shouldn't have been here. Practically impossible to make it
properly.

> > > Even better, we could do like the back button in mozilla: we could
> > > split each taskbar button in two: one big, with the app icon, one
> > > small, with the arrow pointing downwards. If you click the big one,
> > > you go to the most recent konq window. If you click the small one,
> > > the list of all open konq windows pops up.
> >
> > OK, but it should be something in manner of combobutton, like in rest
> > of kapps.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by combobutton...

Eg. Back button in Konq.

m.

Learn Touch Typing with Vim? Oui. Ja. Yes. Tak:
  http://vim.sourceforge.net/script.php?script_id=461
vim.pl - http://skawina.eu.org/mikolaj/