List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Tabbed browsing vs taskbar grouping; a proposal.
From:       Maurizio Colucci <seguso.forever () tin ! it>
Date:       2004-02-29 21:31:15

> > It is common for me to have many konqueror instances open at once, each
> > one in a different directory. I find this is useful because I have some
> > dirs I use very often: it is quicker to leave them always open than to
> > find them each time. The same goes for konsoles instances.
>
> Why don't use bookmarks?

This is a good suggestion. Unfortunately, 1) the approach is less dynamic. I
am forced to choose the dirs beforehand, which should not be necessary.

Furthermore, there are small annoyances with the KDE implementation: 2) KDE
truncates the names like this:

  "/usr/local/bb...dfdfd/fdfd"

which is unnerving to browse. This forces me to assign short names to the
bookmarks. 3) the bookmarks appear intermixed with the internet ones, which
makes me scan many more items than the simple list of directories. 4) there
are the four special items: add bookmark, bookamrk tabs as folder, etc.

> > 1) BAD ASPECT OF OPENING DIRECTORIES IN TABS
> >
> > The problem of opening directories in tabs instead of new windows is
> > obvious: the full pathname doesn't fit in the tab. So, when you want to
> > find a particular dir, you end up pressing all tabs sequentially, until
> > you find it.
>
> Partial solution: tooltips for tabs.

This is also a non-solution, because it is very unnerving to wait for the
tooltip to appear.

> > No sane person would do that. :-) So, as far as I
> > understand, nobody would ever choose to open a new directory in a new tab
> > (unless his panel does not offer taskbar grouping).
> >
> > Notice this problem is not so dramatic when browsing the web: the page
> > titles are rarely very long, and they often have a different icon. The
> > problem is only serious when browsing the disk.
>
> Also you can use .directory file with Icon entry...
> You cannnot?
>
> With ~/Desktop/.directory it works:
> [Desktop Entry]
> BgImage=
> Icon=desktop
> Type=Directory
>
> In another dir
> [Desktop Entry]
> Icon=/usr/local/kde/share/icons/crystalsvg/16x16/actions/exec.png
> Type=Directory
>
> doesn't work.

If you mean assign an icon to directories, well, I don't want to do this by
hand.

OTOH, if the system were to assign icons automatically, and consistently...

> > THE PROPOSED SOLUTION
> > =====================
> >
> > We could enhance the kicker like this:
> >
> > * single click: go to the most recently used konq window
> >
> > * click and hold: popup the list of all open konq windows (the current
> > behaviour)
> >
> > Even better, we could do like the back button in mozilla: we could split
> > each taskbar button in two: one big, with the app icon, one small, with
> > the arrow pointing downwards. If you click the big one, you go to the
> > most recent konq window. If you click the small one, the list of all open
> > konq windows pops up.
>
> OK, but it should be something in manner of combobutton, like in rest of
> kapps.

I'm not sure what you mean by combobutton...

Update: After all, I believe the button which pops the list should be larger
than the one that goes to the most recent app.

Maurizio