List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Tabbed browsing vs taskbar grouping; a proposal.
From:       Maurizio Colucci <seguso.forever () tin ! it>
Date:       2004-02-29 15:43:52

Jorge, it's not clear to me why you replied with one oversimplification and
two plainly false arguments.

On Sunday 29 February 2004 16:19, Jorge Adriano Aires wrote:
> > We could enhance the kicker like this:
> > * single click: go to the most recently used konq window
> > * click and hold: popup the list of all open konq windows (the current
> > behaviour)
>
> This is nothing like the tabs situation. If the konq you select is not on
> the right tab you just chose the appropriate tab.

"Just choose"? You make it seem easy, but it isn't, since the names don't fit
in the tab. I am talking about directories with full path, not web sites,
remember?

Sorry, this is the very problem we are trying to solve. Ignoring it won't
solve it.

> In this case if you click
> and it is not the konq you want then you have to minimize it

??
No, I don't need to minimize it. Just click on the taskbar button with the
down arrow, and choose.

> and use the
> other process to open it.

Yes, if by "other process" you mean "click on the down arrow and then click on
the correct directory". Two clicks. This seems inevitable: in order to
choose, I have to see the whole path names. So I _must_ use two clicks,
because we cannot statically allocate so much space to hold 10 full paths.

> Most times you won't know if the one you want is the most recent one, so
> you'll just use the "normal" process (which will be more annoying then it
> is now because you'll need to hold for some time).

Once again, no, if we use the double button approach. It seems you didn't read
the whole post.

> Many people will
> probably not even understand the logic behind it? "Why is it opening this
> one".

Answers:

1) First of all, when they click the back button in mozilla or MS-Explorer,
the users have no problem understanding they are going to the most recent
window,and that the down arrow pops up the list of all windows. This would
look the same, so it would be immediately intuitive.

2) For the few people that don't use windows or mozilla: when the user clicks
the down-arrow, he gets the list of all open konqueror windows, and the most
recent one would be in bold characters, and with the sentence "most recent"
besides. This makes you understand that the default is the most recent.

> Have you tried using "tear-off handles" in the menu applications?

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by "menu applications"...

> They used
> to be on by default, but now I they don't even work anymore. (KDE 3.1.5,
> don't have 3.2 in here to test it, anyone knows if it's fixed?). In theory
> you should be able to click,

click where?

> get the usual list of konqs, then tear it off
> and use it (clicking on the apps to restore, minimize them). It's probably
> not a great solution but it might help in some situations.

Maurizio