List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: all actions always in the menus ?
From:       Carlos Leonhard Woelz <carloswoelz () imap-mail ! com>
Date:       2004-02-25 23:43:00

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 25 February 2004 14:08, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the style guide says: "It is important that all possible actions be
> available!"
>
> I tried to make a very simple konqy xmlui file, in order to turn konqy from
> a swiss-army knife into a very simple browser:
> http://lists.kde.org/?l=kfm-devel&m=107756568029050&w=2
>
> Now this leads to the effect that many functions from konqueror are removed
> from the menus (because they are not absolutely required for a simple
> browser). Some actions (e.g. duplicate tab, close tab) were removed from
> the menu as well, since they are quite obvious available via rmb from the
> tabs. There is even an extra "close tab" button beside the tabs.
>
> So should really *all* actions always be available in the menus ?
> With xmlui we have the chance to create different GUIs for the same app, so
> there should always be one GUI which offers everything in the menus, but
> for modified/spezialized/simplified versions of the GUI IMO this shouldn't
> be a 100%-requirement. We would loose some of the freedom xmlui gives us.

It would be _best_ if the functionality was totally disabled, not only from
the menu. But since this isn't easy, and you are offering an _alternative_
profile, I would say go for it.

> I think until today we don't exploit the full power of xmlui enough for our
> users.

I totally agree. More experiments will certainly lead to a better ui. Why
there are not xmlui files in lkde-look.org? You are leading the way, thank
you for that.

Cheers,

Carlos Woelz