List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Configuration as themes
From:       Rui Malheiro <rmalheiro () 6mil ! pt>
Date:       2004-02-20 13:04:13

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Jamethiel Knorth wrote:

> I do not like the method of having the themes existing for most every
> section (as was demonstrated in a screen-shot of a new fonts dialog).
> It makes the control center ENORMOUSLY more complex, in that there are
> simply too many options. As there is already a problem with too many
> options, I think that should be avoided.

I agree that extending all/most/many control panels to include theme
selection would increase the complexity. Too many options is often
confusing. What I think would be a better aproach, if configuration
themes would be added to KDE, is to expand/redesign the theme control
panel (I know there is going to be a new theme panel, but I haven't seen
what it's going to be like) and include a "Use theme" button on every panel.

Let me explain this better. A user wants to configure the look and
config on kicker and other desktop panels. She plays around with the
kicker panel but isn't realy happy with the results or can't get to
configure things the way she wants. She clicks on "Use theme" and is
greated by a theme selector window that displays a selection of themes
preferably with a small screenshot of what the kicker will look like
with that theme. She can then choose to use the whole theme or just the
kicker settings. My idea is not to have separate themes for each
configuration aspect, but to design themes (and the theme selection
application) in a way that allows the user to "extract" only the aspects
of the theme she is interested on. The same for fonts, icons, mouse
behavior, file-manager, desktop, whatever...

Let's supose I like the kicker settings of theme "Alpha", the  iconset
of theme "Beta" and the window decoration of theme "Omega". On each
relevant panel I could click on the "Use theme" button, browse the
previews and "build" my own theme from the subsets of the others.

Of course this implies some advanced knowledge of KDE. A news user would
only select a whole theme from the theme selection aplication and apply
it to all aspects of his configuration. Then as he starts to find what
he likes/dislikes, maybe from trying different themes, he can build his
own preferences, without having to know what all those other options he
doesn't realy care about.

--
Rui Malheiro