List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KControl Module Guidelines
From:       Dik Takken <D.H.J.Takken () phys ! uu ! nl>
Date:       2004-02-19 17:27:35

> and, even more in general, that in my opinion there's a need in KDE of:

<snap>

> - (and the most important) where there are just too much options, a
> "lite" version of the XYZ configure dialog, with the real most used options.

Allright, allright.. What is everybody thinking about this?

* All configuration dialogs all over KDE stay roughly as they are now.
* All configuration dialogs get a toggle button, that switches between
'basic mode' and 'advanced mode'.
* The state of this button is remembered by the config dialog.

This has the following advantages:

* People who like to have all options will get all options.
* People who like to have basic options will have only that.
* For every config dialog, you can choose how you want to have it.
* You only have to choose the preferred mode once. The preferred mode is
remembered. Next time you access the dialog, it will recall your
preference.

The following things need to be changed to implement this:

* All config dialogs need to add a toggle button. I think this should be
done in the KDE libraries, not in the dialogs themselves.
* For every config dialog that needs a 'basic' version, it has to be
created.
* KDE should automatically detect if there is a 'basic' version
available and add a toggle button to allow the user to make a choice.

Some configuration dialogs already have something like this, like the
system notifications configuration. It has a toggle button that can
show/hide advanced controls.

How about this?

Cheers!

Dik