List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KControl Module Guidelines
From:       Davide Ferrari <il_vide () katamail ! com>
Date:       2004-02-19 11:12:06

Aaron J. Seigo ha scritto:

> On February 18, 2004 07:23, Davide Ferrari wrote:
>
>>I'm not too much skilled in KDE devolpment plan but..will the KDE4
>>devolpment start *before* KDE3.3 release or only after? if it's only
>

> i don't think it's been decided yet, nor do i think it's relevant to this
> discussion, to be honest.

>>developers, who may break all APIs, improve them without care of the
>>past AND for completely new *concepts* of GUI and look'n'feel.
>>But this is shouldn't be a stop for great UI improvements in the so
>>called minor releases.
>

> nobody said it shouldn't be. but in every release since 2.2 there have been
> major KControl changes. we owe it to our users not to screw with it every
> release; furthermore we WILL be changing at least the theme manager and
> redoing at least a few of the panels (e.g. what Frans has been up to).
>
> the tree itself WILL NOT be restructured for 3.3. it's unnecessarily invasive
> at this time. you, and others, are fixating on the tree structure of KControl
> as if it must be fixed right now or else KDE 3.3 will be fundamentally
> broken. this is simply not true. i, and others, are saying that we will focus
> on other changes for KDE 3.3 out of interest for our users. there are a lot
> of things that be improved on that don't require changing the kcontrol tree
> for 3.3.

I'm not understanding clearly what you wrote...
KControl tree is a case but I was talking more in a general way..for
example I (and others, I suppose) think that Konqui config dialog should
need a *great* redesign (see as examples how Theme manager has changed)
and, even more in general, that in my opinion there's a need in KDE of:

- better defaults
- the option to easily recall these defaults (in case of disaster)
- (and the most important) where there are just too much options, a
"lite" version of the XYZ configure dialog, with the real most used options.

I think that you, as me, look around in Linux newsgroups, forums and
review-sites. Well, everywhere the main drawback in KDE Ui is: "there
are simply too many option. This is confusing for me, new KDE user".

I don't want to talk about user levels, I don't like them too. I mean
something like Gnome "preferences:///" with few, clear options. But with
our current ultra-detailed configure options just one click away
("Advanced..." or "More options...").
I love KDE-tuning, I'm a fucking power user, but I'm also able to think
as someone who doesn't actually like to play with options, but he NEEDS
to change some basic options.

For example, maybe I Joe Average want to increase the general font
dimension in my desktop. General. I don't want to know about menus font
size, title bar font size, normal text font size and bla bla bla. I want
to increase them all, at the same time. But then I realize that I like
all these new size EXCEPTS the menu font size. I want it even bigger. So
I click "Advanced" and the usual KCM font dialog pop-up, and I change
the *detail* I want.

> if you'd like suggestions of what else you could fix, i'd be happy to start
> listing things ;-)

Let start ;P