List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Panel Arrangement KCM
From:       "Jamethiel Knorth" <jamethknorth () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2004-02-12 17:18:17

> > >no. this is a rarely accessed setting and should have sane defaults.
> > >
> > This is one thing that can be very irritating. It is not a "Rarely
>Accessed
> > Button".
>
>actually, yes it is. YOU may access it, but it is, overall, rarely
>accessed. most importantly, it tweaks the size of one type of button on one
>type of interface element. where else in KDE (or any other GUI) is there
>such a similar "ok, make this one button N pixels big" setting? it's
>ludicrous.

Okay, I was very unclear, because you completely misunderstood me. You are
putting the option in "Advanced Options", not "Rarely Accessed Options". It
is not advanced, it is rarely accessed.

This adds a completely unnecessary dialog to an otherwise fairly simple
module. This means people have to check that dialog, when they could
otherwise just ignore an option which is right in front of them.

Even if they are a little unclear on what the option does, editing it has no
harmful side-effects and the results are immediately obvious.

>we support 800x600 screens, which leaves us less than 800x600 for windows,
>and the decision was to settle on 640x480 usable space for windows.

I was under the impression that the requirement was that a single
application window fit into 640x480. As the entire Control Center is the
application, it still does not allow 640x480 for each module, as it loses
about a hundred to the tree-view and about sixty to the confirmation buttons
on the bottom, the row of tabs, and the title/icon at the top of each
module. I just tried that, and I only get 515 by 400 free for it to be
usable. (I'm not trying to be argumentative, I am genuinely confused.)