List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KCM - troubleshoot
From:       "Jamethiel Knorth" <jamethknorth () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2004-02-12 4:05:21

>Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 20:34:02 +0100
>From: Sander Devrieze <s.devrieze@pandora.be>
> > Hi all!
> >
> > I want to propose a idea that control center shold have a troubleshoot
> > module. I will first mention a few of my experinces(with linux newbies
> > using kde apps, mainly konqueror) because of which I want to propose
> > such a module.
><snip>
> > 3. Disabling menubar from a kde app(and then not knowing how to bring it
> > back)
>
>I think showing a don't show this again popup when you hide the menu-bar
>with
>optionally a button to start an interactive tutorial will be a better
>sollution.

I would like to see a generic trouble-shooting center built. Currently,
nothing has one because they are hard to make useful. There are just too
many things people need to trouble-shoot.

The only way I can see it being particularly useful is if it had a list
which could be set to auto-update regularly (kinda depends on distros doing
this right) so there was info on recently introduced problems, as well as a
large list of solutions to query from the start. The real problem isn't so
much putting together the program as it is putting in that many answers to
irritating questions.

Also something that could be in there are some generic tests. I know that
most help-desks have a list of things to test to see if something is in fact
wrong. Most of those lists (not all) can be automated, and the rest can be
concisely described. Once again, the difficulty is making the darned
instructions.

I don't like the idea of pop-ups at those intervals, but I don't see an
alternative. (Also, is there currently a way to bring back those dialogs you
told the system not to show you? I haven't seen one, and there should be
one.)