List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Panel Arrangement KCM
From:       Aaron Seigo <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-02-11 17:15:09

On February 11, 2004 4:37, Benoit Walter wrote:
> On Tuesday 10 February 2004 01:21, Jamethiel Knorth wrote:
> > A little suggestion about this module. Currently, it is extremely wide
> > due to having twin columns. The left-hand side has the position, length,
> > and height, while the right-hand side has a preview.
>
> And the situation is worse when you use several panels (which adds a new
> column on the left with the list of panels...).

the only important metric w/regards to width is that it fits within 640px.
being wide isn't automatically a bad thing.

> > The position consists of a box made of buttons, for placement along the
> > edges. If the screen preview is moved inside the box of buttons, the
> > module then fits into smaller screens. Also, the usage of the buttons
> > become more immediately clear. This requires a slight shrinking of the
> > screen preview or enlarging of the button box.
>
> Yes, I think it would help and as you said would make the usage of buttons
> clearer.

this was tried. it didn't work. in fact, it was like this in the very first
revision of the UI... testing it showed how much that idea sucked =)

> There are quite a lot of things that could be improved in this panel, such
> as:
> - using a combobox instead of a listview for the list of panels

a combobox is slower to access.

> - the possibility to add/remove panels

=)

> - making the dialog smaller

by...... ?

> - moving settings between appearance and hide when appropriate

which ones?

> - get rid of the advanced button in the appearance tab

how?

> - the menu section should have its own module as the KMenu is not only
> related to kicker but can be shown when clicking on desktop or pressing
> alt+F1, too.

this is a technicality. people tend to perceive the menu as part of the panel.

- --
Aaron J. Seigo
while (!horse()); cart();