List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Panel Arrangement KCM
From:       Benoit Walter <b.walter () free ! fr>
Date:       2004-02-11 11:37:17

On Tuesday 10 February 2004 01:21, Jamethiel Knorth wrote:
> A little suggestion about this module. Currently, it is extremely wide due
> to having twin columns. The left-hand side has the position, length, and
> height, while the right-hand side has a preview.

And the situation is worse when you use several panels (which adds a new
column on the left with the list of panels...).

> The position consists of a box made of buttons, for placement along the
> edges. If the screen preview is moved inside the box of buttons, the module
> then fits into smaller screens. Also, the usage of the buttons become more
> immediately clear. This requires a slight shrinking of the screen preview
> or enlarging of the button box.

Yes, I think it would help and as you said would make the usage of buttons
clearer.

> Also, size should likely be renamed to height, as size is inclusive of
> length and does not necessarily mean height.

For vertical panels, it would be the width... That's why a more generic name
has been chosen.

There are quite a lot of things that could be improved in this panel, such as:
- using a combobox instead of a listview for the list of panels
- the possibility to add/remove panels
- making the dialog smaller
- moving settings between appearance and hide when appropriate
- get rid of the advanced button in the appearance tab
- the menu section should have its own module as the KMenu is not only related
to kicker but can be shown when clicking on desktop or pressing alt+F1, too.

I like some of your ideas I have seen in your screenshots, and this is
definitely something we should work on.

Cheers,
Benoit.