List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: ui redesign for konqueror settings
From:       "INFOMATIK" <info () matik ! com ! br>
Date:       2004-02-08 21:48:31

certainly this thread is not exactly treating the issue because you are
looking with your eyes only

reading the thread shows a unique conversation from each poster

what we definitly have to see is that we have different user groups
exactly there I see the great KDE flexibility

KDE can be configured for the developer, the poweruser, the beginner and
whatever is around there and exactly this flexibility is opening the door for
developers of any kind of applications.

Basicly I see two different kind of users:
	the one who knows what he want and do not need any step-by-step
	the one who do not know and needs a kind of wizzard to go through

and there are lots of other with own ideas and tastes ...

I prefere control center like it is today but I completly understand the
wizzard idea
Perhaps a wizzard is necessary and KDE has it already (Desktop Wizzard)

So may be in future there is a wizzard AS OPTION for whom likes or needs it

But sure, such wizzard should be functional and reasonable for beeing
integrated, otherwise this apps stay as  add-on programs , free to chose by
the user who wants them

JM

Dik Takken (D.H.J.Takken@phys.uu.nl) escreve:

> On Sun, 8 Feb 2004, Roland Seuhs wrote:
>
> > Well my personal experience is that the more levels you have to go through, the less
> encouraging it is for all users, ESPECIALLY new users.
>
> This is just plain wrong. By using multiple levels, you no longer force
> the user to make a choice between 17 icons to start with. How do
> plant/animal determination books work? How do tax forms work? How do
> dictionaries work? Levels! You can make choices much simpler by dividing
> them into simple parts.
>
> > I mean that the screenshots only solves non-existing problems. It does NOT deal with
> complexity at all, it just puts a "splashscreen" in front of it.
>
> Confronting the user with much less options to start with does not reduce
> complexity? hmmm..
>
> > > If it is true that this new approach is more friendly to new users,
> >
> > It isn't. See above.
>
> I said 'if', but never mind.
>

> > The only problem is that when you have chosen from your 3 or 4 icons YOU HAVE TO
> CHOOSE AGAIN.
> > That's the whole point.
>
> I like choice! :) But not between 17 icons!
>

> > Yes, the splashscreen is easy. Yes, the icons are nice. But sorry, it doesn't
> accomplish anything, it just delays the choice.
>
> I am starting to get really curious about what your homedir looks like. Do
> you have all your files in one directory, or do you organise them in multiple levels?
>

> > Then of course we have to get rid of the K-menu, too.
>
> That is correct. It has the same problem. When I customise the K menu for
> people, I subdevide it in submenu's. Finding an app gets *much* faster
> that way.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Dik

Nós implementamos asas na sua rede