List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: kControl printer configuration
From:       David Goodenough <david.goodenough () btconnect ! com>
Date:       2004-01-29 23:09:53

On Thursday 29 January 2004 16:22, Frans Englich wrote:
> On Wednesday 28 January 2004 22:59, David Goodenough wrote:
> > Would it not be an idea to provide a link to linuxprinting.org as well as
> > asking for a file if you do not find your printer in the provided list
> > when adding a new printer?
>
> Hm.. I don't think it would help much, the vast majority of users don't
> know how to do that anyway. In the long run I would estimate it's neither
> needed, there's good financial support and when open source get a bigger
> spread the hardware vendors will ensure their printers are
> supported(excluding those who already do).
>
> Cheers,
>

> 			Frans

While the use would have to think a little about how to select their printer,
download the resulting ppd file and load it, how much better to guide them
through the process that expect them to know all this by themselves.

At the moment we do not even seem to help them selecting the right
type of file.  Currently there is nothing that says (as you would find in the
evil empire products) if you have a support CD from the manufacturer
or you can not find your printer in the list press this button, we just have
a button labelled "Other...".  Then up pops a File Open dialog looking for
all files!  Not exactly helpful to a novice user, and novices are going to
want to attach a printer as one of the first things they do for themselves
even if the basic operating system was installed for them.

David