List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: "Miscellaneous" category needed in the KMenu
From:       Frans Englich <frans.englich () telia ! com>
Date:       2004-01-29 16:18:54

On Thursday 29 January 2004 01:00, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> In KDE 3.2 the category: "Applications" has been removed which is a good
> idea.  However, some applications do not fit in any of the categories
> listed in the standard menu.

A "Misc" category would have the same problem as "Apps" - it is generic and
doesn't tell the user anything. If the text of the toplevel categories are to
help the user navigate and describe what the submenu contains, "misc" as well
as "apps" is pretty hopeless, I think.
Anyway, if the categories are to be added it should be done on the xdg-list so
fd.o don't loose its influence.

> Specifically, I installed GRAMPS and couldn't see how it fit in any of the
> categories listed or in any of the categories listed in the FreeDesktop
> standard for that matter.

Hm.. What about Science or Geology?

KDE's application menu only got support Science, and it's under the
"edutainment" menu, AFAICT. Perhaps "Science" should have its own top level
menu? (I think science/research apps like gramps will be a great hit in open
source..)

Cheers,

			Frans