List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Taskbar: "show windows from all desktops"
From:       Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri <gustavo () gsbarbieri ! sytes ! net>
Date:       2004-01-23 0:58:49

On Thursday 22 January 2004 15:49, Frans Englich wrote:
> On Tuesday 20 January 2004 19:36, Aaron Seigo wrote:
> >
> > On January 20, 2004 11:13, Frans Englich wrote:
> > > I would also vote for turning it off. AFAICT, the current behavior is
> > > inconsistent with the tab widget which does only the current desktop's
> > > apps. Until the tab thingy is fixed to follow the discussed setting I
> > > guess disabling it would be a good idea, if consistency is of interest.
> > > If I've got everything right..
> >
> > i've actually tested this on users in the past and when the taskbar is
> > set to showing only windows on the current desktop, the ability for
> > average users to use multiple desktops plummets. they seem to expect the
> > taskbar to show all the windows.
>
> This crossed my mind - to users not familiar with the concept, apps can
> give the impression of "disappearing"
>
> > advanced users can keep these things straight (where a window is) while
> > users can't.
> >
> > as for the alt-tab window chooser only showing what's on the current
> > desktop, i didn't see the same problems there. this is likely because
> > when a window they wanted wasn't there, the user would look to the
> > taskbar; and many used the taskbar exclusively.
>
> Disabling "Show All" make Multiple Desktops easier to use - the whole point
> of it is emphasized. But when it is too much(too good you could say) it is
> too much for typical users. That suggests, AFAICT, that the Multiple
> Desktops concept in general is hard to grasp for typical users(ie. non
> advanced)..
>
> In wonder if multiple desktop in general are easy to grasp. The concept is
> unique for *nix DE and the feedback for what desktop you have activated is
> poor(if this is the case, it perhaps could be helped by putting different
> number on the wallpapers..)
>
> Aaron, how did your userbase in general react on Multiple Desktops? Did
> they use it? Did they find it cumbersome/confusing? (What was roughly the
> premisses - with/without schooling ie?)

I'm not Aaron, but will say my opinion:
I change it to only one desktop when the user comes from Windows, cause they
don't know how to handle it... it's something very different to them. After
they got more confortable I introduce the possiblity to arrange apps in
different groups (desktops). IMHO KDE should come with only one desktop
enabled, users who need/use it will enable it and most of users change the
desktop names, so they visit the kcm at least once.

--
.-------------------------------------------------.
|Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri                          \
| Computer Engineer (Undergraduate) - UNICAMP / 2001 |
| Grupo Pró Software Livre - GPSL / UNICAMP          |
  | Jabber..: gsbarbieri@jabber.org                  |
  | ICQ.....: 17249123                               |
  | Phone...: +(55) 19 9138 0670 (Mobile)            |
  | Location: Campinas/São Paulo/Brazil              |