List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Taskbar: "show windows from all desktops"
From:       Frans Englich <frans.englich () telia ! com>
Date:       2004-01-22 17:49:34

On Tuesday 20 January 2004 19:36, Aaron Seigo wrote:

> On January 20, 2004 11:13, Frans Englich wrote:
> > I would also vote for turning it off. AFAICT, the current behavior is
> > inconsistent with the tab widget which does only the current desktop's
> > apps. Until the tab thingy is fixed to follow the discussed setting I
> > guess disabling it would be a good idea, if consistency is of interest.
> > If I've got everything right..
>
> i've actually tested this on users in the past and when the taskbar is set
> to showing only windows on the current desktop, the ability for average
> users to use multiple desktops plummets. they seem to expect the taskbar to
> show all the windows.

This crossed my mind - to users not familiar with the concept, apps can give
the impression of "disappearing"

> advanced users can keep these things straight (where a window is) while
> users can't.
>
> as for the alt-tab window chooser only showing what's on the current
> desktop, i didn't see the same problems there. this is likely because when
> a window they wanted wasn't there, the user would look to the taskbar; and
> many used the taskbar exclusively.

Disabling "Show All" make Multiple Desktops easier to use - the whole point of
it is emphasized. But when it is too much(too good you could say) it is too
much for typical users. That suggests, AFAICT, that the Multiple Desktops
concept in general is hard to grasp for typical users(ie. non advanced)..

In wonder if multiple desktop in general are easy to grasp. The concept is
unique for *nix DE and the feedback for what desktop you have activated is
poor(if this is the case, it perhaps could be helped by putting different
number on the wallpapers..)

Aaron, how did your userbase in general react on Multiple Desktops? Did they
use it? Did they find it cumbersome/confusing? (What was roughly the
premisses - with/without schooling ie?)

Cheers,

			Frans