List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: gtk+ file selector mockups
From:       Mikolaj Machowski <mikmach () wp ! pl>
Date:       2004-01-11 12:13:07

Dnia Sunday 11 of January 2004 10:22, Aaron J. Seigo napisał:

> On Friday 09 January 2004 06:04, Mikolaj Machowski wrote:
> > Dnia Saturday 10 of January 2004 00:07, Aaron J. Seigo napisał:
> > >  o should the url bar grow wider when vertical to accommodate wider
> > > titles? (it doesn't in the attached patch, but i think it should)
> > > 	o if so, what should be the max?
> >
> > Err..., when?
>
> if you have a really wide title for an entry such as "KDE Usability
> Patches", with the dialog as it is in CVS you end up with (at best) a
> really wide urlbar and you can end up with a wide urlbar _and_ a
> horizontal scrollbar with the entry extending past the width of the
> urlbar. with my patch, it truncates the text nicely, but this prevents
> the urlbar from _ever_ growing wider. probably the best behaviour would
> be to allow the url bar to grow in width to accomodate longer texts up to
> a certain point and then just truncate the text; or maybe not. =) play
> with long text labels to see what i mean...

OK. I didn't associate name with proper item. IMO width shouldn't grow
_and_ horizontal scrollbar also should not appear. Truncate name and if
this is wide add tooltip with full name.

> > >  o with this patch, should the default become "Small Icons"? it looks
> > > nicer than with big icons now =)
> >
> > Why not? :)
>
> you mentioned in a follow-up that a pro reason for large icons is that
> it's consistent with apps like kontact ... AFAIK, kontact is one of the
> very few if not only apps that has such a sidebar, and the sidebar really
> doesn't scale beyond a few entries with the large icons. even with the
> default half a dozen or so entries it's "too much" with the big icons. =/
> previously the small icons looked like crap because of the spacing
> issues.

I was thinking about kcontrol remodeled as kontact (as Kmail in Kontact
specifically). Imagine that:
	On the left side is urlbar with names of 'areas' (currentcly
	top-nodes in kcontrol).
	Next is list of modules, it can be like tree but always open (like
	default view in Kmail)
	At the right are modules themselves.

First 'area' (like Summary in Kontact) would be general info about
machine and search field for queries.

m.