List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [Kopete-devel] Re: CTRL+ENTER or ENTER?
From:       Matt Rogers <matt.rogers () kdemail ! net>
Date:       2004-01-09 18:21:31

On Friday 09 January 2004 12:12 pm, Frans Englich wrote:
> On Friday 09 January 2004 18:59, Simon Perreault wrote:
> > On January 9, 2004 12:19, Frans Englich wrote:
> > > Do I have a wrong impression on this thread or should we say - a
> > > discussion on kde-usability ended in "ENTER is the best default for
> > > sending messages. Other behavior needs to be reverted. Before 3.2" ?
> >
> > Yes. It was already discussed on this list. A concensus was reached.
> > KMail should continue to use CTRL+ENTER (obviously). Kopete should change
> > to ENTER by default. Any IRC or IM-like program should do the same.
>
> Ah, great!
> In other words, /before/ 3.2 is out, Kopete as well as KSirc behavior needs
> to be changed so submitting messages is activated by the ENTER key, instead
> of CTRL+ENTER(if that is not already the case).
> The rationalis for this can be found in the archives.
>
> Feel free to CCMAIL kde-usability when these changes are done.
>
> Thanks!
>
> 			Frans

Wow! Thanks for including us in the discussion. (Trust me, this is much nicer
than the first thing that came to mind).The reason kopete sends messages with
Ctrl+Enter is because the KDE default is Ctrl+Enter. Also, sending messages
is completely configurable from the Configure Shortcuts menu item in the
Settings menu.  So, in essence, you're saying the KDE default for sending
messages should be Enter now, is that correct?

Also, I have to object to the way this was handled. You can't just pass down
some decision that affects an app without letting the people who actually
work on the app discuss it as well. That's complete bullshit. So anyways,
unless one of the Kopete developers gets time to do before Sunday, you're SOL
on this for KDE 3.2 (at least from my POV).

Matt