List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Suggestion to allow easier maintainance of software distributed as
From:       een3sae () leeds ! ac ! uk
Date:       2004-01-08 23:36:38

In my opinion tarballs are a developer friendly/user unfriendly format.
Developers love them as it is realtively quick and simple to distribute
software like this, but they are quite awakward for your average user to deal
with and use to install software.

I feel the approach i am about to suggest may go some way to alleviating this.
Im not a developer so i dont know how feasible this idea is but here goes:

Why not add extra functionality to KConfigure so that Kconfigure can
automatically add an entry to the RPM database when a user compiles and
installs an applications distributed as a source tarball? Surely the necessary
destination filepaths to which files are copied during installation should be
contained in the shell scripts executed when a user/KConfigure does a "make
install"? If this script could be processed automatically by KConfigure upon
installation and an entry added to the RPM database AUTOMATICALLY this would
make software maintainance for your end user much easier for software
distributed as tarballs - he/she could use the package manager to remove/
upgrade the software.

Even if it is not possible to process the script as i have suggested above
surely it would not be difficult simply to log the filepaths to which
KConfigure copies file during installation and then have KConfigure add an
entry to the RPM database based on this? I seem to remember when Win95 first
came out a number of third party programs were kicking about which would
monitor and log the installation processes of pre Win95 programs that didnt
support automatic software uninstallation so that they could be automatically
and safely removed by the user at a later date.

I appreciate that it is often possible to do a "make uninstall" on software
distributed as a tarball when you want to get rid of it making my suggestion
largely unnecessary, but this relies on the user still having the original
sources for that software lying about on their system somewhere, and I have
personally found that a lot of developers dont implement this.

-=+Stephen Ellwood+=-