List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KControl brainstorming
From:       Enrico Ros <eros.kde () email ! it>
Date:       2004-01-07 17:54:49

On Wednesday 07 January 2004 14:39, Waldo Bastian wrote:

> On Wed January 07 2004 14:06, Mikolaj Machowski wrote:
> > IMO mentioned already WinXP solution with search is the go:
> >
> > After calling kcontrol will pop-up dialog with question:
> > 	What do you want to configure?
> > or
> > 	What setting do you want to change?
> >
> > User will insert eg. 'fonts' (I started with this example, and will end
> > with it ;).
> > On the fly created is list of all kcm's which have something to do with
> > fonts.
>
> Adding the search functionality to the current "Index" tab might be a
> solution. We could get rid of the keyword list by feeding the keyword list
> as auto-completion suggestions.
>
> > Current search interface isn't good. User is presented with list
> > where titles and icons are often the same.
>
> That's curable by presenting the results in the original treeview so that
> the context is preserved. Then we just need a button to go back to show all
> entries again after a search. Adding a "clear" button in front of the
> search line-edit could do.

I completely agree on that proposal! It should be the better way to get rid of
the 3 tabs (that is useful as I didn't remember of the third tab at all).

There can be only a search line-edit that prune the kcm tree as-you-type with
auto completition of suggested modules and auto selection of the module.

The "clear" button is the best way to return to the full tree.

--
Enrico