List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: gtk+ file selector mockups
From:       Mikolaj Machowski <mikmach () wp ! pl>
Date:       2004-01-07 16:21:46

Dnia Wednesday 07 of January 2004 14:33, Luke Chatburn napisał:
> Hiya...
>
> Firstly, I must admit to being happily attached to my KDE fileselector.
> To be honest, I don't think there is very much that can/needs to be done
> to improve it.

Maybe separating fileselector as separate app. And make possible to call
it from applications without messing with code. Selected files could be
returned as strings to stdout as in 'kcolorchooser --print'.

> the star icon, which brightens up the interface somewhat. If you look at
> the GTK fs mockups, they are very utilitarian with almost no icons, no
> colour and no distinctions between areas of the interface. To my eyes,
> it's dull and ugly, but that's just my opinion.

Not only yours ;)

> It is also my opinion
> that KDe does well with end users, because they see the fileselector and
> other dialogs and interfaces hour after hour, day after day, and anything
> that can brighten up the interface will likely brighten up the user too.
> You can say what you like about Windows XP (and I frequently do), but the
> new colour scheme, with the blue, green, brighter icons and cream/brown
> windows does make things a little less depressing for the daily user.

IMO XP went too far in other direction. Its colors are too bright, too
intensive. For me Crystal is a golden middle with its pastel colors.

> Oh, and in presentability terms, I'd give the file entries in the
> selector a bit of padding( 1px/2px ), to spread them from the edges and
> each other a bit more. The density is just a bit too much atm. I suspect
> this has already been done for 3.2, though :)

Not in CVS (from weekend).

I would suggest in addition replacing 16pix icons with 22pixels. But by
looking into code I see problems with fast fixing it:
- hardcoded sizes (kicontheme.h) are 16, 32, 48, 64. No 22!

m.