List:       kde-usability
Subject:    More usable desktop setup
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2004-01-07 8:25:10

A while ago, I tried to describe a possible improvement in a user's $HOME directory
organization.  I have now moved to a larger Hard Disk and implemented my idea and after
using if for a while, I think that I can objectively say that it does work better.

I created a subdirectory of $HOME which I am currently calling: "USR-Home" because that is
the name of the environment variable I created for it: USR_HOME.  This name could be
something else and that might be better

So, the setup is that: "USR-HOME" is a child of the $HOME directory.  And this directory
is set as the "Documents path" and the Home URL in the KFM profile of Konqueror.  I added
an icon for this directory on the DeskTop and used the: "gohome" icon.  This is in
addition to the existing icon for the $HOME directory.  I changed the item in the K-Menu
to this directory: "$HOME/USR-Home/", and added it to the: "Navigation Panel" in Konqueror
(I changed the icons so that "gohome" is for $HOME/USR_Home/" and "folder_home" is for
$HOME).  I hand edited the 'desktop file for the sidebar so that the "Name" is "USR-Home".

I moved the Desktop directory (renamed DeskTop) to the "$HOME/USR-Home/" directory.

In the "$HOME/USR_Home/" directory, I have a "Documents" child directory as well as
additional directories to keep my various files sorted as I want them.

Then I set the: "Work path" for all applications to: $USR_HOME or a subdirectory of it.

This could be improved somewhat if the default: "Work path" for all applications was
$USR_HOME rather than $HOME.  It is also possible that the default: "Work path" would be:
$USR_HOME/<Menu Type>.  So that if an application's Menu Type was: "Graphics" then the
default: "Work path" for that application would be: $HOME/USR-Home/Graphics.  The Type:
"Applications" should probably translate to "Documents".  There should be yet another
configuration file to configure this, but most users would probably either use the
defaults or change them for individual applications with the Menu Editor.

I suppose that somebody is going to ask what if the application had more than one Menu
Type.  Might I first say that I don't like that -- I don't like the menu clogged with
multiple menu entires for the same application.  But, it should be obvious that if there
were a list that the first one would be used.

This seems like the obvious solution to all that clutter in the $HOME directory.  I have
kept my $HOME/USR-Home directory clean -- I don't keep files in it.  It only has
subdirectories where I keep the files.

--
JRT