List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Konqueror: why was handling of <Tab> key in HTML forms changed?
From:       Jorge Adriano Aires <jadrian () mat ! uc ! pt>
Date:       2004-01-04 11:45:49

> Obviously, the handling of <TAB> keys for the completion list in input
> elements in HTML forms has changed; it isn't possible anymore to cycle
> through the list of completions with this key as in KDE 3.1.x. Only the
> down arrow key seems to perform this action now, while <TAB> jumps to the
> next form element (example: e-mail address input field on b.k.o).

It was a really anoying behaviour before, IMO say keep the new one.

> * consistency: all "similar" input widgets allow cycling through the
> history with the <Tab> key, among them Konqueror's location bar, the
> address fields in KMail's composer, all applications' main menus, etc.

On the other hand <TAB> jumps to the next form element in all other cases.
Seems to me like the best way to achieve global consistency is to correct the
other applications accordingly.

> * usability: IMHO it's a lot easier/quicker to cycle through the options
> with the left hand while keeping the right one near the <RETURN> key or on
> the mouse (for right-handed people, at least) instead of looking for the
> arrow keys which are just "too far away".
You got a point here though... still I know that in my exeperience it did get
in my way, and had my sis and firends complaining about it too...

J.A.