List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Konqueror: why was handling of <Tab> key in HTML forms changed?
From:       Torsten Kasch <tk () CeBiTec ! Uni-Bielefeld ! DE>
Date:       2004-01-04 10:50:20

Hi,

[ I got no reply to the same question on kde-devel, so I hope this list is
more appropriate? ]

Obviously, the handling of <TAB> keys for the completion list in input
elements in HTML forms has changed; it isn't possible anymore to cycle
through the list of completions with this key as in KDE 3.1.x. Only the down
arrow key seems to perform this action now, while <TAB> jumps to the next
form element (example: e-mail address input field on b.k.o).

It seems that this change was introduced with revision 1.254 of
kdelibs/khtml/rendering/render_form.cpp, and I suspect this change was done
itentionally. Since I was very used to the previous behaviour, I'm wondering
what the reason for this change was and would like to vote to revert it
because of the following reasons:

* consistency: all "similar" input widgets allow cycling through the history
  with the <Tab> key, among them Konqueror's location bar, the address fields
  in KMail's composer, all applications' main menus, etc.
* usability: IMHO it's a lot easier/quicker to cycle through the options with
  the left hand while keeping the right one near the <RETURN> key or on the
  mouse (for right-handed people, at least) instead of looking for the arrow
  keys which are just "too far away".

Sorry if I missed any previous discussion on this topic but I couldn't find
any clue in the maling lists archive. Any explanations/pointers welcome.

cheers,
	Torsten

--
   Torsten Kasch                                  tk@CeBiTec.Uni-Bielefeld.DE
      Center for Biotechnology (CeBiTec) / BRF    Office: V6-151