List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KDE Quality Team implementation
From:       Tom Chance <tomchance () gmx ! net>
Date:       2004-01-03 18:34:14

On Saturday 03 January 2004 18:29, Carlos Leonhard Woelz wrote:
> An open pilot program, stating clearly that things can change based in the
> feedback, is good enough to me. However, I don't see anything so new about
> what I am proposing. The news are:
> - people organize around apps not tasks.
> - lower entry point: guides and step-by-step tutorial. The new community
> and the list offer help and feedback to newcomers.
>
> As people get trained, and show it, they integrate to normal KDE
> development process: Mailing lists, CVS accounts, bugzilla accounts, etc...

Would it not be worthwhile involving those who won't go on to get involved in
CVS accounts, submitting patches, etc? I mentioned this scheme to my
girlfriend, an avid KDE user, and she got quite excited about the opportunity
to work on KDE without ever needing to get into the development side of
things.

I can see a lot of interest from people who would like to stay in between
developers and the public, working on bugzilla, forums and mailing lists, but
who would rather not listen to developer discussing coding specifics, who
would rather not be subscribed to several high traffic mailing lists that
don't directly relate to their work, and who certainly don't want to *need*
to learn to code themselves. That said, there will also be interest from
those who will eventually become the most hardcore kdelib hackers, so it
needs to cater to both ends of the spectrum.

There is nothing particularly new about your proposal if it allows that, but
if the web site is lacking, or the model needs amending somehow, that will be
bad both for the Quality Team scheme and for KDE as a whole. Hence an open
pilot program would be a wise first step, IMO.

Tom