List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KDE Quality Team implementation
From:       Carlos Leonhard Woelz <carloswoelz () imap-mail ! com>
Date:       2004-01-03 18:29:56

On Saturday 03 January 2004 09:26, Tom Chance wrote:

> > Are you sure we want to make public something people cannot join?
> > Middle ground could be reached if we increased the number of applications
> > (not only kdeprint) and accepted new people.
>
> I think a low-key announcement on dot.kde.org asking for people who want to
> participate in a pilot scheme would be best. If it isn't announced at all,
> participants will all be people already on KDE mailing lists and so won't
> reflect the level of skills and knowledge of the kind of people this scheme
> is trying to attract.
>
> A pilot scheme is only going to be worthwhile if it will highlight problems
> with the scheme, and in particular I should think with the documents
> describing and explaining the scheme. So we want to get a wide variety of
> people involved, so that when it is launched we don't exclude people from
> the scheme because of problems with the quality.kde.org web site or indeed
> with they process itself.

An open pilot program, stating clearly that things can change based in the
feedback, is good enough to me. However, I don't see anything so new about
what I am proposing. The news are:
- people organize around apps not tasks.
- lower entry point: guides and step-by-step tutorial. The new community and
the list offer help and feedback to newcomers.

As people get trained, and show it, they integrate to normal KDE development
process: Mailing lists, CVS accounts, bugzilla accounts, etc...

Carlos