List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: menus: icons and text
From:       Simon Perreault <nomis80 () nomis80 ! org>
Date:       2003-12-29 19:20:28

On December 29, 2003 14:10, you wrote:
> Wait a minute.  Are you using FreeType 1 or 2?

I don't know what the importance of this is, but right now I'm using

[nomis80@localhost nomis80]$ rpm -q freetype
freetype-2.1.4-5.1

> Do any distros still use
> FreeType 1?

I suppose so.

> If they do, they have to disable "hiniting" to keep from
> breaking the law, because Apple the patent on that algorithm.

They have to do so even with freetype 2. But re-enabling it is trivial.

> I'm using Bitstream Vera Sans right now, and it looks bold on my screen
> even when it is not bold.

Yup, that's what it looks like without hinting enabled.

> The only fonts that are sharp on my screen are
> are Helvetica 8, 10, and 14, and these are not TTFs.

These are bitmap fonts, so they look good at the sizes they were designed for.

> I've also tried the MS
> fonts, and they don't really look any better under FreeType2.

Enable the bytecode interpreter when you compile freetype. It'll look a lot
better.

--
Simon Perreault <nomis80@nomis80.org> -- http://nomis80.org