List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: CTRL+Key_Plus and CTRL+Key_Minus as zoom shortcuts in khtml
From:       Simon Perreault <nomis80 () nomis80 ! org>
Date:       2003-12-29 16:12:39

On December 29, 2003 10:39, Leo Savernik wrote:
> The shortcut wasn't meant to be shown because it is effectively not the
> same action. The essence is this:
> - To which extent may the user be confused if he is not informed of a
> keyboard shortcut? Not at all.

I don't agree at all! It is usual to learn shortcuts when seeing them in the
menus. So much so, that people simply will not know that CTRL-+ and CTRL--
are available if they are not there in the menu.

> - To which extent may the user be confused if the shortcut does something
> else than the menu item? Quite a lot.

This is currently what is happening. The fact that the shortcut is not
strictly associated with the menu item is no reason for not being confused.
The menu item zooms, and the keyboard zooms more, and it is confusing,
shortcut shown in the menu or not.

> Given the fact that no simple "aliasing" of shortcuts between actions is
> possible, I consider the current solution the best compromise,
> usability-wise.

The current situation is very bad.

1) The shortcut is not shown beside the menu item. Under the hood, we know
that these are two different actions, but to the user it is only one. At
least, that's what we're trying to do. So the shortcut not being shown in the
menu breaks all the nice unification that KAction brings us.

2) The action behaves differently when it is called by the keyboard and when
it is called by the menu. Yeah, this is not the same KAction under the hood.
But to the user, this is the "zoom" action, and it is confusing.

3) The "configure shortcuts" dialog shows that there is no shortcut associated
with "Increase Font Sizes", even though CTRL-+ increases font sizes. You have
to scroll down to "Zoom In Fast" to realize that there is in fact another
action that is bound to CTRL-+.

Let's unify the two actions: decide on an acceptable stepping and be done with
it. I've put screenshots of both steppings on http://nomis80.org/stepping/.
Based on the screenshots, I think the bigger stepping is too big and the
small stepping is too small.

--
Simon Perreault <nomis80@nomis80.org> -- http://nomis80.org