List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KDE screen resolution policy
From:       Frans Englich <frans.englich () telia ! com>
Date:       2003-12-25 19:58:58

> On Thursday 25 December 2003 09:55 am, Frans Englich wrote:

(CC'ing kde-usability)

> > Should we add to the KIG(or some other KDE policy paper) what resolutions
> > and screen sizes an conforming application must be usable in?
>
> Problem is that Qt uses layouts, not absolute positioning like Windows
> Resources, so it is not always possible to know how big the application
> will be on a given screen (especially since fonts can make a big
> difference).

But it must be possible to roughly estimate how much space it takes. The paper
could specify style or font sizes to judge from.
QT's geometry system is "dynamic", but it is that inside certain limits(such
as font size) and that error-margin is acceptable. But feel free to correct
me and/or elaborate..

> > (it would be better to drop the "Most Used Applications" count, IMHO).
>
> I personally disable mine.  Do you mean in the default settings?  It seems

Yes.

> like 5 is a fairly small number already, if it were made any less it might
> as well be disabled by default.

In either case, it is unbearable for 800x600 and if it is going to be kept it
must be a runtime decision(disabling/lessen the amount).

Another possibility is removing the "Most Used Applications" menu(MUAM)
totally. It would help making the KMenu simpler. Perhaps the correct way of
providing functionality to reach your work quickly is to make it more
context-based; when the user needs to resume/start work she perhaps thinks
about the document instead of whatever tool needed to do it("I need to work
on my /resume/" instead of "I need to start KWord so I can work on my
resume"). Also, if the purpose of the MUAM is to provide quick access to
often used apps, it perhaps should be positioned at the bottom.. Is it
practical and usable?
What do people think about the "Most Used Application" section? Should it be
removed?

Cheers,

			Frans