List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: New app name : KName or KNames ?
From:       Casey Allen Shobe <cshobe () softhome ! net>
Date:       2003-12-25 4:06:51

Sebastien Laout (Wednesday 24 December 2003 13:39)
> It can be confused with a basket game for KDE, isn't it ?

No, that's Basketball.  I think Baskets is a fine name, because it indicates
what the program is for (the first I think of is how you describe your
application...baskets to put things in, not the sport).  While it may be a
KDE program, that doesn't mean that it has to incorporate the first letter of
KDE as it's name.  Otherwise we'd have such horrors as WWord and WExcel and
WPowerPoint.  Really, that's about as ridiculous as most K* names look to me.
It doesn't add any benefit and just makes it impossible to have any sort of
good sorting in my menus because 80% of things start with K.

> 1 vote for plural => null match :-/

Well does your program present you with a single basket to put things in?  Or
multiple baskets?  That's how I would think about it.

> Now, I tend to rename it to KBaskets...
> With this name I thing it willn't be confused with a sport or a game
> (with the K*, and with the plural) and it's a KDE program, as all other
> KDE programs.
>
> Which are KDE programs that not begin with a K ??

There are tons.  For example, Noatun (the KDE Media Player) comes from the
name of Njörd's home in Norse mythology, and the author's alias was Njörd.
There is no letter K at all.  JuK also comes to mind.  Most apps included
with KDE start with a K, by happenstance, but there is no requirement, so
name it whatever you like :)

> Is KBaskets (with the 's') too difficult to pronounce correctly in
> english ?

Nah, it's easy.  The 'K' just adds an extra syllable :P

--
Sigþór Björn Jarðarson (Casey Allen Shobe)
cshobe@softhome.net
http://rivyn.livejournal.com