List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Kicker bar maiming, take Two
From:       Frans Englich <frans.englich () telia ! com>
Date:       2003-12-24 19:04:29

To sum up our discussion so far regarding the kicker icons removal, I think it
boils down to:

* Consensus on removing the KHelpCenter button.

* Consensus on removing the konsole button. Except for Sander which must have
an extra step in kpersonalizer in order to agree.(I'm not ignoring you, I
just need to think up a method to make my explanations reach you)

* Consensus on removing the preferences button, if it is made usable in the
KMenu. This one is tricky.

Since we actually get something done here :) I thought we could continue, and
take a look at the KMenu. I have some suggestions, feel free comment and add
your own suggestions:

* Move (toplevel) 'mnt' to Quick browser. Save space, and considering the
frequency of use I think it is suitable having it in the Quick browser.

* Move Find Files to beneath Actions. I would bet that the user percepts "Find
Files" as an action.

* The homedir is available in the kicker, the quick browser and the toplevel
KMenu - is it possible to anyhow reduce the count? It can't be removed from
the kicker, it does not disturb in the quick browser but can we remove it
from the toplevel?

* In KMenu/Graphics there's ghostview and kpdf, we really should have one.
This seemes to solve itself since Staikos plans to remove kpdf. But if it
petters out, should we do a NoDisplay on kpdf in that case?

* Alot of space and respect is payed to apps not conforming to fd.o menu-spec
- a whole toplevel menu, "unknown". How about making it a sub menu of
"system" or "utilities"(better suggestions highly welcome). The rationalis
is, toplevel entries are worth their weight in gold and atleast on my system
the entry is populated with gnome games and gnome-specific apps(such as
"network servers") and their equivalent to "Find Files" - it is functionality
KDE already has. Another reasons is that it is not very usable when it's all
thrown in a "here-goes-everything-else" category.
You could also argue to ditch the "unknown" menu with rationalis not to punish
usability for out-of-spec apps which in either case will soon be fixed. (But
that is not possible if the "unknown" menu also is the placeholder for legacy
apps).

And to "move" the preferences button to the KMenu will be difficult - There's
already "system"(perhaps a submenu?) and "settings". I don't see any viable
solution. (But it will be kcontrol, and not "settings:/" IMHO, simply because
kcontrol is usability wise better (!= good ;-))

That's it :)

			Frans