List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: New app name : KName or KNames ?
From:       Casey Allen Shobe <cshobe () softhome ! net>
Date:       2003-12-24 16:35:58

Sebastien Laout (Wednesday 24 December 2003 09:58)
> I'm developing BasKet and want to have a more "standardized" name for my
> app.

Please god no...not another K* app.  KDE application do *not* have to be named
this way, and I appreciate the diversity when I can have *something* that
doesn't start with a K :P.

> I see KNotes : it's also a plural and has a final 's'.
> Idem for KJots : it has a 's'.

This is the general acceptable form.

> But in the same time KMail handle a lot of mails and hasn't a final 's'!
> Same "problem" for KWord : we rarly have only one word in documents :oD

That's because the word 'mail' is both singular and plural on it's own (you
say "I'm going to get the mail" not "I'm going to get the mails"), and KWord
is named after Word, which Microsoft came up with.  At the time, other word
processors were primarily named Word* (i.e wordstar, wordperfect) or Letter*,
so...

> So, I ask you if I must call it KBasket or KBaskets.

I would vote first for Baskets, second for KBaskets.

> And is a guidline necessary for this sort of dilem ?

No.  It's the name of your artwork.  Call it whatever you like :).

--
Sigþór Björn Jarðarson (Casey Allen Shobe)
cshobe@softhome.net
http://rivyn.livejournal.com