List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Use settings:/ in Konqeuror instead of KControl in 3.2?
From:       Tom Chance <tomchance () gmx ! net>
Date:       2003-12-24 0:14:00

On Monday 22 December 2003 22:24, Luke Sandell wrote:
> Open Control Center. Click on the "View" menu, then "Mode", then "Icon
> View." Perhaps this could be the new default.

I think that'd be a really good idea. One other possible suggestion that I'm
guessing will rile a lot of people is to have either two modes for
KControlCenter or two separate Control Center apps, one simple, one with all
the options in.

Why? I think the main problem, once you use the 'Icon View', and thanks to the
good steps to reorder the options in the past few major releases, is for many
people simply the volume of options they're presented with, most of which
they'd never touch.

When setting up a PC for my parents, I appreciated being able to tweak all of
the settings that KDE offers. But then when they want to change things,
they're confornted by a massive number of things they'd never want to change.
I'd like to see a KControlCenter with the Icon View as default and a simple
switch to "show all / show simple" options, which goes far beyond the
"normal/advanced" distinction already available to reduce KControlCenter to:

* most of the 'Appearance & Themes' options, (background, colours, fonts,
icons, a little of panels (background, position), screen saver, window
decorations)
* the actual device sections from 'Peripherals' (camera, mouse, keyboard,
printers)
* none from any of the others

These are the kinds of changes I could imagine my family making.

Merging this with the kicker discussion, something like this could function as
an app that distributors could ship with ready made boxes, or that friends
and family like myself could leave in the menu for those who don't
particularly like tweaking everything, so that there is an accessible Control
Center for them, one that can be quickly switched into 'all options' mode to
get access to everything again. It'd also be good then if more distributors
followed the lead of some and integrated their own configuration tools into
KControlCenter, as well as offering their own tools for those who don't use
KDE or GNOME (what distributor will do a tool for all WMs?!).

Trying to make the KControlCenter more flexible yet also a basis for
cross-distribution standardisation would/will be tricky though.

Tom