List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Kicker bar maiming
From:       Frans Englich <frans.englich () telia ! com>
Date:       2003-12-21 9:50:55

On Sunday 21 December 2003 08:18, Frans Englich wrote:
> On Sunday 21 December 2003 07:10, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

I could really use a clarification on those wonderings and questions I brought
up. Otherwise, I guess I will be quite annoying, having me submitting
patches, arguing for causes only I find reasonable.

My kdesu patch on kde-usability has its roots in the same issue as the kicker
buttons - it adapts behavior to please the majority and unfortunately letting
minorities (yes, unfortunately) out in the cold, while the outcome over all
is better - improved.
In the "kdesu dialog simplification" thread people jump in their chairs,
wondering why people at all discusses such an dangerous patch - because
compared to old behavior it is extremely dangerous for security.

My plan was to go nock people on their heads, diagnosing a couple suffering
from the @kde.org syndrome with the reason they are the only ones who can
interpret that command line. The only  who is secure is KDE developers and
others with internal knowledge(and it's anyway easily spoofed - Waldo gives
one example). My patch does not in the big picture make things less secure -
it is left in that miserable state.
(post 3.2, removing it could be good idea since it would force developers to
implement it in a correct way. A way which does not only suit their belly
buttons.)

With your reason to why the konsole button should stay(except it being far
away in the kmenu) I can't find any argument(like those I supplied) to why
the command line in kdesu should be removed. It is just wrong because it only
hurts KDE's userbase - the power/whatever users.

If we generalize the "policy" for keeping the konsole button - how should we
then treat and discuss the kdesu case?

Do I overinterpret, misunderstand somehow? I need some clarification and
guidance..

		Frans