List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: kcontrol usability : panels
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2003-12-16 23:29:52

Gérard Delafond wrote:
> Le Mardi 16 Décembre 2003 22:20, James Richard Tyrer a écrit :
>
>>Gérard Delafond wrote:
>>
>>>Well, as we are talking about kcontrol, there is a problem with the
>>>"panels" title.
>>>There are 2 Panels pages : one in Apperarance & themes, the other one in
>>>Desktop.
>>>That is not only confusing, but it leads to misfunctions.
>>
>>It looks OK to me.  The three KCMs for panels have been given separate
>>locations in the Control Center.  You get all three of them if you right
>>click a/the panel.
>>

>>>If you are looking for a key word (example "button"), you are leaded to
>>>the 2 panels, one of them being the good one.
>>
>>This has *nothing* to do with where it is.  The keywords for each KCM are
>>listed in the respective 'desktop' file.  So, if this is wrong, then it is
>>a simple error.  The file: "panel.desktop" shouldn't have: "buttons" in the
>>"Keywords=" list (and the file: "panel_appearance.desktop" should).
>
> It is not a problem with only "buttons". Any keyword that leads to "panels"
> leads to the 2 "panels" pages.
> Examples: "size", "hidden", "bookmarks", etc.
> I think the 2 panels take their keywords in message #641 in desktop_kdebase
> So, the problem is the same in all the languages.
>
>><SNIP>
>>
>>>I think this can be considered like a bug.
>>
>>Yes the 'buttons' keyword is a bug.  And since the search is synthetic,
>>there are probably other errors.

panel.desktop:

Keywords=kicker,panel,kpanel,taskbar,startbar,launchbar,location,size,auto
hide,hide,buttons,animation,background,themes,menu
cache,cache,hidden,K-Menu,bookmarks,recent documents,quickbrowser,browser
menu,menu,icons,tiles,applets,startup,highlight,handles,zooming icons,trusted
applets,security level

panel_appearance.desktop:

Keywords=kicker,panel,kpanel,taskbar,startbar,launchbar,location,size,auto
hide,hide,buttons,animation,background,themes,menu
cache,cache,hidden,K-Menu,bookmarks,recent documents,quickbrowser,browser
menu,menu,icons,tiles,applets,startup,highlight,handles,zooming icons,trusted
applets,security level

Yep!  They sure look the same to me.  But that is the problem.  The synthetic search
Keywords need to be edited a bit.

--
JRT