List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Simplifying creation of filters
From:       Hisham Muhammad <hisham () apple2 ! com>
Date:       2003-12-06 15:49:05

Hello,

After the (n^n)th time in my life I reconfigured my filters in a mail program,
I believe a came up with a simple idea that could improve this boring task a
lot.

Currently, when one drags a message from the one folder to another, a menu
pops up asking which action should be taken, "Copy", "Move" or "Cancel". I
suggest an additional action: "Create Filter".

Selecting this option would create a filter based on sender (or on mailing
list, if List-Id is available), with the action set to move to the folder the
message was dropped to.

This comes from the observation that the creation of filters usually involves
these steps: one creates a folder, finds a message which belongs to this
folder, right-clicks on it to "Create filter based on <From/Mailing
List>...", and selects the folder he/she just created in a dropdown list
("move to folder" is fortunately the default task). The "Create filter"
option in drag-and-drop would eliminate this last step, and is inspired by
the observation that most of the time I drag a message, it is to move from
the inbox to a user/list folder for which I'll be also wanting to create a
filter.

Things to consider:

* whether this applies only to messages dragged from the inbox or from any
folder;

* "Create Filter" when selected from a drag-to-trash action could set the
filter also to mark the message as read.

* whether this Create Filter option opens the filter configuration dialog
(with action already set to move to the folder, of course) or not;

* whether the filters get applied to the inbox automatically after the filter
is created.

(The last two could probably be configurable options.)

I also submitted this at bugs.kde.org as a wishlist (#69733), and I posted
here so that discussions could possibly refine the idea even further.

Thanks in advance!

--
Hisham Muhammad
http://www.gobolinux.org