List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Proposal: Replacing Toolbar Icons in KOffice
From:       Luciano Montanaro <mikelima () virgilio ! it>
Date:       2003-12-05 10:07:55

On Thursday 04 December 2003 10:08 pm, James Richard Tyrer wrote:

> > So go and fix it.
>
> I don't see how this classic response applies when the request is to NOT do
> something.

I'm not following you here.
I think you are not expressing yourself clearly enough - you mix
a number of problems together:

You call the "unthemed" style the KDEClassic, which is in fact an Icon theme
since 3.1.
This hides the real problem - namely, that some icons cannot be themed as they
should. And this is, in my opinion, the problem that should be addressed.

> > The only icons that are required to be shipped with kde are
> > the default ones,
>
> Again, I am not talking about KDE, I am talking about separate
> applications.  Except for the bug which I have filed a report on, this is
> not a problem with KDE itself.  You just need to install the KDEArtWork
> package.
>
> > which are CrystalSVG. the 'hicolor' directory name has been
> > chosen for some kind of backward compatibility, and this is the reason
> > the former hicolor theme has been renamed KDE-Classic (two 's'es) and
> > basically abandoned.
>
> That wasn't a very wise decision was it?  And I am talking about usability,
> not just personal opinion.

I have never cared too much about the default theme - I tend to change it
quite often. However, they have some advantage, e.g. they come in larger
sizes than KDEClassic. They could have higher contrast, in my opinion, but
they are not so bad. Maybe the artist could be receptive to your opinions.

> > This discussion is getting stale.
>
> Perhaps one of the reasons that it is getting stale is that various posters
> do not understand or have not correctly stated, the issues.
>
> > The solution is to integrate the missing
> > icons.
>
> NO, the solution was to not remove them.

The solution is to be sure that an icon theme can override any icon in an
application.

> > You may have better luck and better answers from people that
> > originally made the icons on the kde-artwork list, or from
> > kde-accessibility.
>
> No, this is first a matter of policy.  Having looked into it a bit further,
> there appear to be two issues.
>
> 1.	For applications which install their icons in: "$KDEDIR/share/icons/"
> and "$KDEDIR/share/apps/<app-name>/icons/"  The issue here is simply of not
> removing the unthemed icons.  The unthemed icons should be installed as:
> "hi" and the CrystalSVG icons should be installed as: "cr".  This appears
> to be simple.

The fact is that hicolor is meant to contain the "default" icon, whatever the
application developer think it is - and at this time, the default looks to be
CrystalSVG.  So the easiest solution would be for them to "donate" the
KDEClassic icons to the kdeartwork package.

> 2.	Applications (separate applications not "shipped" with the KDE packages)
> which do not use the standard toolbar icons installed in:
> "$KDEDIR/share/icons/<icon-theme>/<size>/actions/" and which do not install
> private icons in: $KDEDIR/share/apps/<app-name>/icons/"  But rather,
> install such additional toolbar icons in:
> "$KDEDIR/share/apps/<app-name>/pics/" (such as Kile) will require minor
> changes in the code to bring it up to date before the icons can be moved
> to: "$KDEDIR/share/apps/<app-name>/icons/" where they can be themed.

Sure.

Luciano